On this page:

Academic Support

Check out this list of CNS and Campus Academic Resources.

Student Support

Dean of Students Office

The Dean of Students Office provides students with the support, resources, and referrals that will help you succeed at UMass Amherst.

Disability Services

If you are a student living with a disability, Disability Services will help you with classes, living situations, and other accommodations that you may need. Their office is located in 231 Whitmore.

English as a Second Language Office

English as a Second Language Office helps assure the academic success of UMass Amherst students who are not native English speakers.

International Programs Office

The International Programs Office provides important services for International Students and Scholars and Education Abroad and Exchange programs.

Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP)

The Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation seeks to increase enrollment, retention, graduation and participation in research of undergraduate students from underrepresented groups seeking degrees in the STEM disciplines.

Men and Masculinities Center

Men and Masculinities Center supports the development of healthy masculinities at UMass Amherst and beyond from male positive, multicultural and pro-feminist perspectives.

Center for Multicultural Affairs and Student Support (CMASS)

Center for Multicultural Affairs and Student Support (CMASS) provides academic support, cultural enrichment, student development and support for institutional diversity on the UMass Amherst campus.

Ombuds Office

Ombuds Office is an impartial and confidential resource for all campus students and employees ensures fair and equitable treatment on campus and provides mediation and conflict resolution services.

Office of Religious and Spiritual Life

Office of Religious and Spiritual Life offers a range of educational programs, individual and institutional advocacy, interfaith dialogue, and other bridge-building activities designed to foster an informed, caring and supportive campus community for students of all backgrounds and beliefs, and to promote a greater sense of meaning and purpose in students' lives.

Stonewall Center

Stonewall Center at UMass Amherst is a lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA) educational resource center that serves the campus, the Five Colleges, and the surrounding community by providing cultural and educational programming; ally training sessions; a speakers bureau; a DVD, video, and book library; information and referrals; support for individuals who experience harassment and discrimination; advocacy for LGBTQIA students at UMass Amherst; and community outreach through Queer-e, its weekly listserv of LGBTQIA and Allies Five-College and local events.

Student Bridges

Student Bridges is a student-run, non-profit agency at UMass Amherst that provides access and success to underrepresented students by building partnerships with local schools and community organizations; offering college awareness, preparation and success activities; and advocating for enhanced institutional and public policies and practices.

Student Legal Services

Student Legal Services Office (SLSO) provides counseling, advice, research, education, representation, and referral concerning legal matters for all fee-paying UMass Amherst students.

The Center for Women and Community

The Center for Women and Community is a multicultural campus-based center sponsors different campus and community in an effort to promote educational access and equity for women, empower women to take full control of their lives, and strengthen connections among women.

Financial Support

CNS Scholarships

CNS offers more than 100 scholarships for students majoring in CNS disciplines. Please see the CNS Scholarships page for information about the individual awards and how to apply.

Financial Aid Office

In addition to helping you fund your education, the Financial Aid Office helps you understand the cost of a UMass Amherst education, eligibility requirements, how financial need is determined, your rights and responsibilities regarding your aid package, and more.

New England Regional Students Program (NERSP)

Through the New England Regional Students Program (NERSP), students from New England who enroll in a major not offered by a public institution in their home state may pay tuition of only 50 percent above the Massachusetts resident rate. If you are eligible for this program check the NERSP box on the university application. No additional application is required.

Off-campus Opportunities

Take Advantage of the Five Colleges

The Five College Consortium enables UMass Amherst students to take classes at no extra cost at Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith colleges—all linked by a free bus system. You can start taking classes at the other four colleges during your second semester and may take up to three classes per semester. UMass students can also participate in and have access to facilities, libraries, cultural, and social events on these campuses.

Domestic Exchange

If you want a change of pace without leaving the country, consider spending a semester or year at another U.S. college or university. Through the Domestic Exchange Office, UMass students can choose to study at over 160 participating schools at no extra cost in places such as Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, California, or even as close as Connecticut. With proper planning, going on a domestic exchange should not impact on your expected graduation date.

Studying Abroad

CNS students may take advantage of a variety international exchange programs. The International Programs Office offers a range of semesterly and yearly opportunities, and there are plenty of English-speaking options, even in non-English countries. Students who choose to study abroad typically go during their junior year. Proper planning should enable you to graduate on time.

Internships & Jobs

The Student Employment Office

A great resource for all students, the Student Employment Office posts job listings for both on- and off-campus employment including work-study opportunities.

Career Services

Career counselors in the CNS Career Services Office are a great resource, and can help you with resumes, interviewing, internships, and your plans post-UMass.

Contribute to the Community

The Office of Community Service Learning has many opportunities for all types of service projects. Being involved in a community project can help you develop as a person while making a difference!

Campus Health Services

University Health Services

University Health Services (UHS),serves UMass Amherst students, faculty and staff, along with their spouses, domestic partners, and dependents. Visitors who become ill or injured can be seen at UHS on a fee-for-service basis. UHS offers appointments and walk-in care.

Center for Counseling and Psychological Services

Center for Counseling and Psychological Services (CCPH) provides confidential services that include crisis intervention, short-term counseling for individuals, couples and families, support and therapy groups, behavioral medicine, medication management and an eating disorders clinic.

Psychological Services Center

When you need psychological support for a longer time frame, the Psychological Services Center (PSC) offers low-cost mental health services. The APA-accredited community mental health clinic is operated by the Division of Clinical Psychology, in the Department of Psychology.