About the Distinguished Scientist & Engineer Seminar Series:
In our ongoing commitment to foster diversity within the College of Natural Sciences, the Dean’s office, in collaboration with the College of Engineering, offers The Distinguished Scientist & Engineer Seminar Series, which showcases the work of accomplished faculty from underrepresented groups.
- Any faculty member(s) of CNS or COE may submit a nomination.
- The invited visitor should be well-known in their field for their research accomplishments and of interest to faculty and students from multiple departments.
- Nominees should belong to an underrepresented group or groups (e.g., racial and ethnic minority, LGBT, women, differently abled).
- The college(s) will provide up to $2500 each for 2 to 3 visitors per year. Funding will include an honorarium, travel, and event hosting and promotion costs.
- The unit will be responsible for the logistics of hosting the visit (speaker travel and accommodations, promotion, room reservations, etc.).
Please include the following in your nomination:
- The name, department, web link, and contact information of the proposed visitor.
- Answers to the following (~2 pages/double spaced maximum):
- What are their research and scientific accomplishments?
- Why is their science of interest to your group and possibly, the larger STEM community on campus? Who would be interested in hearing this speaker?
- What are some professional development reasons for bringing this scientist/engineer on-campus? (e.g., their reputation for mentoring, inspirational speaker, potential networks, etc.)
- Contact information of the faculty member(s) nominating this potential visitor. The nominators will be extending the invitation in collaboration with the Dean’s office.
- Contact information of the person who will be responsible for coordinating the visit.
- Estimated budget and the anticipated semester of the invited speaker’s visit.
- Submit your nomination as a single PDF document to Amanda Leigh Hawkins: email@example.com.
Proposals are due by March 12, 2021 for visits during 2021-2022.
Notification and invitations
- Notification of the decision will be on March 31, 2021.
- Invitations to the visitors will be extended by the dean of the relevant college (Natural Sciences or Engineering) and the faculty nominators.
- The Dean’s office will work with the faculty team and coordinator to host the scientist.
Questions about the series