Come to us to learn about field experience opportunities and strategies to increase your visible value to employers well before you graduate. Take your next step today to a fulfilling career in the sciences tomorrow!
WAIT! If Handshake shows "College of Natural Sciences" on your profile, then you are ALL SET! Only subscribe here if you can't find us in your existing email. Otherwise, all students, faculty, and staff are welcome to subscribe here.
The College of Natural Sciences Career Center is now on Handshake, the leading career platform. Handshake allows you to find internships, jobs and co-ops, and to get personal recommendations of opportunities based on your interests, skills, major, location preferences, and search history. In addition, Handshake will tell you about all UMass Amherst recruiting events, career fairs, workshops and other helpful career resources.
To Join Handshake, log in and complete your profile now.
Use these Handshake Tips when setting up your profile.
NEW: CNS Career Development Handbook
This comprehensive new resource, written specifically for UMass Amherst CNS undergraduates, provides 56 pages of material vital to your career and professional development while at UMass. No CNS student should be without this valuable resource.
Download Your Handbook today and keep it handy on your desktop as both a resource and a reminder of your commitment to success.
Sophomores with a CNS major should stop by the CNS Career Center for a free hard copy version. The PDF version is available to all UMass students.
Meet one-on-one with a dedicated Career Advisor who specializes in the sciences. Get answers to your career-related questions, map the next steps on your path, improve your resume, and ensure that your academic planning and career planning are integrated. We can also show you how to do a targeted internship or job search.
Make a career advising appointment by logging in to Handshake and follow these steps:
- Click on Career Center, then
- Schedule a New Appointment
- College of Natural Sciences
- Career Advising – CNS
Choose your appointment date and time
Walk-In Resume Reviews with Career Peer Advisors
Have your resume critiqued or get answers to your basic career-planning questions from knowledgeable CNS Career Peer Advisors weekdays between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. at the CNS Career Center, in Morrill II, Room 321. No appointment needed! Please bring a hard copy of your resume to your meeting. Meet this semester's CNS Career Peer Advisors.
Quick Help for Frequently Asked Career Questions
How do I...
Big Interview Training System
Build your confidence and prepare for any interview by answering real questions in real time, for dozen of industries, at all experience levels. Get tips for answering questions, and explore a video-training curriculum on all aspects of interviewing. Record, play back, and score your responses to the most common questions in your field. Download our Big Interview Start Guide.
Clinical Jobs for Pre-Meds
Pre-Med students seeking clinical experience can use Liquid Compass to find local nursing and allied health jobs, including entry level work for Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs), Home Health Aids (HHAs), and Personal Care Attendants (PCAs).
Mock Interviews In-Person
Use Handshake to schedule an interview practice session with a CNS Career Advisor. We provide field-specific interviews as well as individualized advice for how to be at your best. Bring hard copies of both your resume and a job description to your appointment. You can also read our Handbook section on Preparing for an Interview, and practice before your appointment with Big Interview.
Database of Completed CNS Internships and Research
On this Database of Completed CNS Internships and Research, you can see where your fellow students found field experience and research opportunities. Read student reviews of completed internships, at companies large and small, across the sciences, and get some ideas for where you can go next.
Career Fairs & Professional Development Workshops
Bringing your A-game to a career fair takes research and practice. See our Handbook sections on Making Professional Contacts at a Career Fair and Dressing Professionally. Then get ready to showcase your best self. There are many career fairs on and off the UMass Amherst campus, including the UMass Career Blast, held every February in the Campus Center, with more than 130 well-known companies in attendance. Check the Central Career Services Events Calendar for updates. We also offer smaller career fairs throughout the year, focused on life sciences, computer sciences, building and construction technology, engineering, and other STEM fields. Check Handshake for any updates.
- Welcome Back Pizza Party, Friday Sept 6, 11am-1pm, CNS Career Center, Morrill II, Room 321
- Hanover Insurance Career Summit, Monday Sept 16, 8:30am-4:00pm, In Worcester -- Must Apply With Resume By Sept 6 to Attend
- Career Fairs Prep Workshop, Monday Sept 16, 5:30-6:30pm, Olver Design Bldg, Room 162
- Resume Writing Workshop, Tuesday Sept 17, 5:30-6:30pm, Olver Design Bldg, Room 162
- What Can You Do With This Major at Wayfair?, Wednesday Sept 18, 5:30-7:30pm, ILC S-140
- Berkeley Research Group Info Session on Corporate Finance Opportunities, Thursday Sept 19, 7:00-8:30pm, Isenberg Innovation Hub (N145) -- Best for Math majors
- Dell: Changing the Face of Tech, Monday Sept 23, 6pm, IALS Conference Room, in LSL S-330 -- Diversity Recruiting, Open to All
- Actuarial (Math) Career Fair, Tuesday Sept 24, 5:30-7:30pm, Lederle, Room 1634.
- Isenberg Business Career Fair, Wednesday Sept 25, 11am-4pm, Campus Center Auditorium (Lower Level) -- Best for Math and Psych majors
- Tech Jobs & Internships Fair, Thursday Sept 26, 1pm-5pm, Campus Center Auditorium (Lower Level) -- Best for Math, Physics, Astronomy, and Biotech-related majors
- Engineering Career Fair, Friday Sept 27, 10am-3pm, Campus Center Auditorium (Lower Level)
- BCT Career Fair, Wednesday Oct 2, 10am-2pm, Olver Design Building -- Best for Building Construction Technology and some NRC majors
- Civil Engineering Career Fair, Friday Oct 11, 10am-3pm, Campus Center Auditorium (Lower Level) -- Best for BCT, NRC, and Env Sci majors
- JC Penney Suit Up! Sales Event for UMass Students, Sunday Oct 20, 5pm-8pm, Hadley Mall on Route 9 -- 40% Off with your UMass ID
- Career Fairs Prep Workshop, Tuesday Oct 22, 5:30-6:30pm, Olver Design Bldg, Room 162
- Resume Writing Workshop, Wednesday Oct 23, 5:30-6:30pm, Olver Design Bldg, Room 162
- Non-Profits and Social Impact Career Fair, Thursday Oct 24, 11am-2pm, Location TBD -- Best for Psych and NRC majors.
- Life Sciences & Biotechnology Career Fair, Tuesday Oct 29, Noon-4pm, Campus Center Auditorium (Lower Level)
- Psychology Career Fair, Friday Dec 6, 11am-1pm, Campus Center Marriott Room (11th Floor)
- Diversity Networking Night, Tuesday Feb 18, 6pm-7:30pm, Campus Center 10th Floor
- Career Blast Campus-Wide Career Fair, Wednesday Feb 19, 10am-3pm, Campus Center Auditorium (Lower Level) -- ALL MAJORS
- BCT Career Fair, Friday Feb 21, 10am-2pm, Olver Design Building -- Best for Building Construction Technology and some NRC majors
- School of Earth & Sustainability Career Fair, Monday March 9, 11am-1pm, Old Chapel
- School of Public Health and Health Sciences Career Networking Conference & Fair, Wednesday Mar 25, 10am-3pm, Campus Center Auditorium (Lower Level)
Online Career Assessment Tools
Develop an accurate picture of your personal strengths, abilities, and interests using the self-assessment tools at Central Career Services. Research careers compatible with your personality, academic preparation, interests, and skills. Then use Handshake to make an appointment with a CNS Career Advisor to review your results and to help you better focus your career interests.
Many recruiters come to campus to interview UMass students. Apply online through Handshake and schedule your on-campus interview with one of the many employers who visit our campus year round.
Support for Recent Alumni
Receive the full support of the CNS Career & Professional Development Center for three months after your graduation date. Recent CNS alumni can email Nessim Watson to schedule an appointment. UMass alumni also have lifetime access to Handshake, as well as to a range of career development services provided by the Alumni Association.
Faculty: Collaborate with Us on Career Skills Workshops
Professors, would you like to collaborate with us to teach resume and cover letter writing skills specific to your scientific area in your classes? Or show your students how to develop their professional network, build their online presence, create a personal brand, dress for success, and gain confidence for interviewing? We can also show you the latest in online and offline job search methods. Let us know how we can work together. Contact Nessim Watson to set up a presentation.
Corporate Partnership Opportunities
The CNS Corporate Partnership program allows industry partners the opportunity to expand their recruitment efforts and presence on campus, with positive benefits for both their organization and for our students' career development. For information on joining the Corporate Partnership program, email Janet Bordwin, Director of the CNS Career & Professional Development Center, or call her at 413-545-1545.
Quick Help Setting Up Handshake