Come to us to learn about field experience opportunities and strategies to increase your visible value to employers well before you graduate. Take your next step today to a fulfilling career in the sciences tomorrow!
The CNS Career Center will continue to operate remotely through fall 2020. In this unprecedented time of the Covid-19 pandemic, I know that internship, co-op and job searching are challenging. Come meet with us sooner rather than later, so we can help you figure out next steps and work with you to bring out your skills to demonstrate to employers. Please make use of all of our resources:
- Career Advising appointments (make your 1:1 meeting in Handshake)
- Handshake is our University-wide career platform. Look there for upcoming career fairs and events, as well as jobs, internships, and co-ops. All students already have a Handshake account, just log-in with your UMass Amherst Net ID and password.
- We have plenty of career resources for you. Look on this page for help with resume and cover letter writing, networking with LinkedIn, interview help and so much more.
- Parker Dewey offers micro-internships. Check it out.
- If you are participating this fall in any field experience (CNA, EMT, internships for credit or pay, or co-op), please complete this form and return it to me asap Field Experience Risk Acknowledgement Form.
- Read your weekly CNS Career Center newsletter which comes to your inbox every Thursday night at 8 pm with the most up-to-date career events, employer information sessions, internship, co-op and job listings.
Director, Career & Professional Development Center
College of Natural Sciences
All Career Fairs in fall 2020 will be virtual on the Career Fair Plus app. Download it now and look for UMass Amherst Fairs.
The College of Natural Sciences Career Center is now on Handshake, the leading career platform. Handshake allows you to find internships, jobs and co-ops, and to get personal recommendations of opportunities based on your interests, skills, major, location preferences, and search history. In addition, Handshake will tell you about all UMass Amherst recruiting events, career fairs, workshops and other helpful career resources.
To join Handshake, log in and complete your profile now.
Use these Handshake Tips when setting up your profile.
NEW: CNS Career Development Handbook
This comprehensive new resource, written specifically for UMass Amherst CNS undergraduates, provides 56 pages of material vital to your career and professional development while at UMass. No CNS student should be without this valuable resource.
Download Your Handbook today and keep it handy on your desktop as both a resource and a reminder of your commitment to success.
The PDF version is available to all UMass students.
Meet one-on-one with a dedicated Career Advisor who specializes in the sciences. Get answers to your career-related questions, map the next steps on your path, improve your resume, and ensure that your academic planning and career planning are integrated. We can also show you how to do a targeted internship or job search.
Make a career advising appointment by logging in to Handshake and follow these steps:
- Click on Career Center, then
- Schedule a New Appointment
- College of Natural Sciences
- Career Advising – CNS
Choose your appointment date and time
If you can't find an appointment in time for your needs, stop into the CNS Career Center and we'll see if we can help.
Virtual Drop-in Resume Reviews with Career Peer Advisors
We will have fall 2020 virtual walk-ins, on Wednesdays 12-4, Thursdays 10-4 and Fridays 12-4 during the academic semester. Have your resume critiqued or get answers to your basic career-planning questions from knowledgeable CNS Career Peer Advisors. No appointment needed! Please have a draft of your resume ready to discuss at your meeting. Meet this semester's CNS Career Peer Advisors.
Quick Help for Frequently Asked Career Questions
How do I...
Big Interview Training System
Build your confidence and prepare for any interview by answering real questions in real time, for dozen of industries, at all experience levels. Get tips for answering questions, and explore a video-training curriculum on all aspects of interviewing. Record, play back, and score your responses to the most common questions in your field. Download our Big Interview Start Guide.
Clinical Jobs for Pre-Meds
Pre-Med students seeking clinical experience can use Liquid Compass to find local nursing and allied health jobs, including entry level work for Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs), Home Health Aids (HHAs), and Personal Care Attendants (PCAs).
Mock Interviews In-Person
Use Handshake to schedule an interview practice session with a CNS Career Advisor. We provide field-specific interviews as well as individualized advice for how to be at your best. Bring hard copies of both your resumen and a job description to your appointment. You can also read our Handbook section on Preparing for an Interview, and practice before your appointment with Big Interview.
Database of Completed CNS Internships and Research
On this Database of Completed CNS Internships and Research, you can see where your fellow students found field experience and research opportunities. Read student reviews of completed internships, at companies large and small, across the sciences, and get some ideas for where you can go next.
Career Fairs & Professional Development Workshops
Bringing your A-game to a career fair takes research and practice. See our Handbook sections on Making Professional Contacts at a Career Fair and Dressing Professionally. Then get ready to showcase your best self. There are many career fairs on and off the UMass Amherst campus, including the UMass Career Blast, held every February in the Campus Center, with more than 130 well-known companies in attendance. Check the Central Career Services Events Calendar for updates. We also offer smaller career fairs throughout the year, focused on life sciences, computer sciences, building and construction technology, engineering, and other STEM fields. Check Handshake for any updates.
ALL EVENTS WILL BE HELD ONLINE FOR FALL 2020. SEE YOUR EVENT'S HANDSHAKE PAGE FOR DETAILS. CAREER FAIRS WILL BE ON THE CareerFair+ app. Download the app now.
- Actuarial (Math) Career Fair, Tuesday Sept 22, 5:30-8:30pm
- Tech Jobs & Internships Fair, Tuesday Sept 22 & Wed, Sept 23 1pm-4pm -- Best for Math, Physics, Astronomy, and Biotech-related majors
- Isenberg Business Career Fair, Wednesday Sept 30, 11-3 -- Best for Math and Psych majors
- Engineering Career Fair, Thursday Oct 1, 10am-3pm
- BCT Career Fair, Wednesday Oct 7, 10am-2pm -- Best for Building Construction Technology and some NRC majors
- Civil Engineering Career Fair, Friday Oct 16 -- Best for BCT, NRC, and Env Sci majors (Location and Details TBD)
- Not-for-Profit & Social Impact Fair, Tuesday, October 20
- Life Sciences & Biotechnology Career Fair, Thursday Oct 29, Noon-4pm
- Psychology Career Fair, Friday Nov 13 (Date Tentative; Location and Details TBD)
Online Career Assessment Tools
Develop an accurate picture of your personal strengths, abilities, and interests using the self-assessment tools at Central Career Services. Research careers compatible with your personality, academic preparation, interests, and skills. Then use Handshake to make an appointment with a CNS Career Advisor to review your results and to help you better focus your career interests.
There will be no in-person on-campus recruiting for the fall 2020. But, many recruiters will be recruiting and interviewing UMass students virtually. Apply online through Handshake.
Support for Recent Alumni
Receive the full support of the CNS Career & Professional Development Center for three months after your graduation date. Recent CNS alumni can schedule an appointment in Handshake. UMass alumni also have lifetime access to Handshake, as well as to a range of career development services provided by the Alumni Association.
Faculty: Collaborate with Us on Career Skills Workshops
Professors, would you like to collaborate with us to teach resume and cover letter writing skills specific to your scientific area in your classes? Or show your students how to develop their professional network, build their online presence, create a personal brand, dress for success, and gain confidence for interviewing? We can also show you the latest in online and offline job search methods. Let us know how we can work together. Contact Janet Bordwin at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your presentation.
Quick Help Setting Up Handshake