CNS Undergraduate Scholarship Program
More than $200,000 in scholarship aid from the college was awarded to deserving students last year. The majority of these scholarships are generously funded by CNS alumni and members of the CNS community. These scholarships are intended to recognize the hard work and academic success of our students, as well as assist them with the expense of their education.
We encourage all current CNS students who might be eligible and who intend to return to UMass Amherst for the 2013-2014 academic year to apply. Please keep in mind that many of the scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement. We also encourage students to contact their academic department to inquire about departmental scholarships.
Please review these directions before completing the application form. Incomplete applications will not be considered for a scholarship.
- Students must complete the online scholarship application. Please note that you cannot save your application data and return to it later. The application must be completed in one session. Once you have submitted the application, you will receive an email confirmation and a copy of your responses.
- Therefore, prior to completing the application, students are encouraged to review the application worksheet first. This will allow you to prepare the information necessary in order to successfully complete the application online. Please note there are several short answer questions with a 250 word maximum. You should compose your responses to these questions offline and then copy/paste them into the form rather than trying to type your responses in the form.
- Students apply to the CNS Undergraduate Scholarship Program, not to individual scholarships. The scholarship committee will review each applicant and determine which student best meets the criteria for each scholarship. Please note that scholarships are arranged according to major. Additionally, some scholarships specify certain criteria such as students must reside in a certain county, be involved in research, athletics or extra curricular activities, be in a certain major, etc. Be sure to review the criteria for each scholarship prior to completing your application in order to best focus your application responses. Be sure to indicate if you meet the criteria of a specific scholarship. You may view the scholarship criteria online:
- Be sure to fully complete all sections of the online application. Please do not submit the worksheet. You must complete the online application in order to be considered for a scholarship.
- The DEADLINE for submission of the CNS Undergraduate Scholarship Application is Monday, May 6, 2013 at 5:00 p.m.
- The CNS scholarship committee will meet in May to begin reviewing applications and students will be notified of the decisions by June 30, 2013.
- After reviewing the instructions and preparing your responses ahead of time, you may proceed with filling out and submitting the online application form:
- If you have been selected for a scholarship, you will be required to write a thank you letter to the scholarship donor. Information about this process will be provided at the time you are notified of the award.
- Scholarships will be applied toward the student's fall 2013 tuition and fees at UMass Amherst. Larger awards will be split between the fall 2013 and spring 2014 semesters.
If you have questions, please contact:
Associate Dean for Student Services
220 Morrill II
mbaker [at] cns [dot] umass [dot] edu