On this page:
More than $200,000 in scholarship aid from the college was awarded to deserving students last year. The majority of these scholarships are generously funded by CNS alumni and members of the CNS community. These scholarships are intended to recognize the hard work and academic success of our students, as well as assist them with the expense of their education.
We encourage all current CNS students who might be eligible and who intend to return to UMass Amherst for the 2016-17 academic year to apply. Please keep in mind that many of the scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement. Therefore, rising juniors and seniors are generally most competitive for the majority of scholarships. We also encourage students to contact their academic department to inquire about departmental scholarships.
Preparing Your Application
Please review these directions before completing the application form. Incomplete applications will not be considered for a scholarship.
- Students must complete the online scholarship application. Please note that you cannot save your application data and return to it later. The application must be completed in one session. Once you have submitted the application, you will receive an email confirmation and a copy of your responses.
- Prior to completing the application, students are encouraged to FIRST review the application worksheet. This will allow you to prepare the information necessary in order to successfully complete the application online. Please note there are several short answer questions with a 250 word maximum. You should compose your responses to these questions offline and then copy/paste them into the form rather than trying to type your responses in the form.
- Students apply to the CNS Undergraduate Scholarship Program, not to individual scholarships. The scholarship committee will review each applicant and determine which student best meets the criteria for each scholarship. Please note that scholarships are arranged according to major. Additionally, some scholarships specify certain criteria such as students must reside in a certain county, be involved in research, athletics or extra curricular activities, be in a certain major, etc. Be sure to review the criteria for each scholarship prior to completing your application in order to best focus your application responses. Be sure to indicate how you meet the criteria of a specific scholarship.
- After reviewing the instructions and preparing your responses ahead of time, you may proceed with filling out and submitting the online application form.
- You must complete the online application in order to be considered for a scholarship. Do not submit the worksheet.
- Be sure to fully complete all sections of the online application.
- The DEADLINE for submission of the CNS Undergraduate Scholarship Application is Friday, May 6, 2016, at 5:00 p.m.
- The CNS scholarship committee will meet in May to begin reviewing applications and students will be notified of the decisions by June 30, 2016.
- If you are selected for a scholarship, you may be required to write a thank you letter to the scholarship donor. All scholarship winners will also be required to complete an award winner information sheet. These will be due shortly after scholarship winners are informed. Additional information about these requirements will be provided at the time you are notified of the award.
- Applying to scholarships gives CNS the right to release certain personal information such as your name, scholarship qualifications, and information from your application to scholarship donors and/or the public.
If you have questions, please contact:
Senior Assistant Dean
220 Morrill II