New CNS buildings to open this semester
The new Physical Sciences Building (PSB) and its partner, the relocated and renovated West Experiment Station, as well as the new Horse Barn, are scheduled to be completed in the spring semester.
The 82,500-square-foot PSB, scheduled to be ready for occupancy in April, will house Physics Department and Chemistry Department labs and offices for twenty faculty members and approximately 130 bench positions, as well as conference and support space. As part of the project, the old West Experiment Station was dismantled and reconstructed, and is now connected to the PSB. The 12,300-square-foot structure will house offices for the physics faculty and graduate students.
In addition, the former campus horse barn, built in 1894 on Grinnell Way, is rising anew just north of the main campus and is nearing completion as part of the Stockbridge School of Agriculture’s Agricultural Learning Center. To retain the exterior appearance from 1894, cupolas were refurbished and windows and doors were replicated to original measurements. The new roof is metal, as was the original. Students in the Student Farming Enterprise program will use the barn to process the approximately 75,000 pounds of food produced by the farm each year.