Academic Job Opportunities by Department
For academic job openings within the College of Natural Sciences, please visit the Departmental Faculty Openings listed below, or search for all campus employment opportunities through UMass Amherst Human Resources.
Job Posting: Director of Administrative Services
In a leadership role, the Director of Administrative Services will provide leadership and supervision for the administrative offices of the College of Natural Sciences, including personnel and financial services. This position will oversee personnel services in the College to assure compliance with University policies, bargaining agreements, applicable law and financial plans. The position will also oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and inform senior leadership of the college financial status. Serve as the Dean’s representative in University financial and personnel matters.
In Fiscal Year 2014, the College of Natural Sciences consists of 2 Schools, 13 academic departments and 6 programs with approximately $162 million in operating expenditures and over 2,000 budgeted and non-budgeted staff appointments.
- Develop and support the work of an administrative team of financial and personnel staff that operates to achieve the mission and direction of the College of Natural Sciences. Recommend staff needs, hire, train and evaluate employees.
- Represent the College in processing CNS employee complaints and/or grievances. Work with Associate Provost for Academic Personnel, the University Labor Relations Administrator, EO&D and University attorneys to resolve personnel issues.
- Oversee the development of the annual College budget including the forecasting of revenues and expenditures. Review budget submissions and quarterly reviews for the state allocations.
- Advise the Dean and Associate Dean for Budget on the College ability to meet its financial commitments and recommend sources of funds to supplement those needs.
- Has signature authority on all College accounts and personnel actions.
- Represent the Dean’s office as primary liaison between the College and other University financial and human resource administrative offices.
- Identify informational needs
- Oversee the research business functions for the College including the College grant proposal support project. Work with the Director of the Research Business Manager Network to improve faculty support for successful extramural funding in CNS.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in an area of human resources, finance or related field plus seven years of related experience required.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience, including ability to work with diverse staff to achieve goals through collaboration and teamwork required.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interact with a wide range of people to achieve desired outcomes required.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to respond quickly and effectively to unanticipated challenges. Ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Ability to interpret contract and policy issues and exercise good judgment in providing guidance and advice regarding personnel and financial issues.
- Strong organizational and communication skills and experience with database use, excel and word.
Hiring range: $60,500 to $76, 500. Normal hiring range: $60,500 to $68,500.
PROFESSIONAL STAFF ADMINISTRATION POSITION LEVEL: 30
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Please apply by the priority deadline of March 2, 2015 in order to ensure consideration.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members.