College of Natural Sciences - Special Event
"College Day Cookout"
Friday, September 27, 2013 - 11:30am - 1:00pm
Life Sciences Laboratory lawn (behind ISB)
This is a rain or shine event.
Going Green starts at home. The CNS College Day Cookout on Friday lunchtime is 100 percent compostable and environmentally friendly. Here’s some of what we are doing to make it Green:
• Locally-sourced food minimizes transportation costs & bolsters local economy
• CNS-raised cranberries (UMass Cranberry Station) & apples (Cold Springs Orchard)
• Free-range, low-chemical meats—humane and healthy
• The menu is all finger food—no need for eating utensils
• Plates, cups, napkins and food waste—all compostable
• Food packaging—minimized
• Green decorations—to be given away afterward or returned to the farm
• Student EcoReps on site to provide eco-education
• Plastic bun bags, last year's main trash source, will be reused by a local ceramics artist
• The all-acoustic band will provide 100 percent people-powered music
Join us! This Friday, Sept. 27, 11:30am-1:00pm, at our new location, the Life Sciences Laboratory lawn behind ISB—Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to join us on Friday, rain or shine!